Boat rental is an appealing alternative to boat ownership, which often involves upkeep, storage, moorage fees and other overwhelming expenses. However, even rental is not a transaction to take lightly. You remain responsible for safe operation, and the marina may enforce different expectations. If you decide to take the plunge and rent a boat in Venice, FL for a few hours or even a full day, here are five important boat rental tips:
- Plan ahead: If you show up at the marina on a sunny day and expect them to make a boat available, you may be disappointed. Peak boating season starts around Memorial Day and continues through Labor Day weekend. Florida boating continues outside that timeframe, and we are frequently busy. Make boating plans early in the season, and call the marina to make a reservation. That is the best way to ensure your preferred vessel is available.
- Arrive on time: Marinas are never short on renters, especially when boating conditions are optimal. So, if you fail to show up on time to pick up your boat, it becomes available to the next customer inquiring about a rental. Rather than risk this scenario, consider showing up before your pickup time. Since it takes time to fill out paperwork and sign contracts, being a little early helps you get on the water sooner to start enjoying your day.
- Know your limits: If you’ve never operated any type of boat before, consider attending a boating safety class first. Your day will go better if you know procedures for safe operation and emergencies. This consideration also applies to the type of boat you rent. If your boating history includes only easily-maneuvered motorboats, this is not the time to rent a powerboat. You are a risk to yourself and others if you do not have the experience. If you doubt your abilities, your best course of action is to hire a captain or take a sailing tour. You’ll still enjoy your day on the ocean, but you’ll leave boat operation to the skilled crew.
- Be prepared: Check the weather before you leave. Depending on the forecast, you may require sunblock, rain ponchos, towels, swimwear or all of the above! Pack enough food and drinks. Before you bring alcohol, check with the marina on whether it is allowed on your rented boat. If so, designate a boat operator who will not drink while you are on the ocean. Pack all essentials for your planned activities, whether those include fishing or indulging in water sports. Most of all, do not forget the essential documents to complete your rental. That typically includes photo ID, proof of insurance and sometimes a credit card to hold the deposit.
- Inspect the boat: Give the boat a once-over before you hit the water. Check for any damage and ask about it. At the very least, report it on the rental forms. Otherwise, you risk charges for damage that you were not responsible for inflicting.
Cool Breeze Boats and Jet Ski Rentals offers boat rental in Venice, FL. Our available rentals include 19-foot deck boats, a 25-foot pontoon and more. Call us today to book your rental and prepare for a fun day on the water.
Categorised in: Boat Rental
This post was written by Writer