Planning a kayaking excursion in Venice, FL in the near future? It’s important to consider not just the kayak you’ll be using, but also the gear you’re bringing with you.
It’s important to note that what you need to bring out in the kayak depends heavily on the weather conditions in the area you’ll be paddling and the length of your excursion. Here are some general recommendations for you to consider as you make your preparations:
- Flotation device: You’ll need some kind of personal flotation device for safety when you’re out in a kayak. This could be a life jacket, or another type of buoyancy aid to allow for more movement of your neck and arms while paddling. Even if you’re an experienced swimmer, you should always wear your personal flotation device so you can get some peace of mind and ensure your safety at all times.
- Water apparel: A wetsuit or drysuit can be a good choice for apparel when you’re out on your kayaking excursion. A drysuit is a watertight suit that allows you to wear normal clothes underneath. A wetsuit does not give you that same option, but will keep you warm if you get wet. Wet shoes are also a good idea, as they’ll keep your feet warm and will give you some grip on slippery surfaces. Flip-flops aren’t particularly supportive and won’t grip surfaces as effectively.
- Rope bag: If you’re paddling with another kayaker, you’ll want a rope bag as part of your kit so you can perform rescues if needed.
- Dry bag: A dry bag is a type of watertight bag you can use to pack your belongings, including cell phone, keys, a set of dry clothes and other accessories.
- Clothes: Make sure you’re outfitted with the clothes you’ll need for your excursion. You’ll want more than one layer of clothing for your upper body so you can add or remove layers to maintain a reasonable level of comfort. Be sure to dress for water temperature, not air temperature—you might find the water will be much colder than the air. Avoid wearing cotton, as this absorbs water. Opt instead for fast-drying clothing like polyester or nylon.
- Sunscreen: You will be out without a whole lot of protection from the sun, so make sure to wear high-SPF clothing, and fabrics that are UPF-rated so you can protect yourself from potential sunburn.
- Camping gear: If you’ll be doing overnight kayaking excursions, make sure you’re outfitted with all the camping gear you’ll need to stay comfortable, including shelter, a sleeping bag, cooking utensils, a means of starting a fire, nonperishable food, clean water, a flashlight or lantern and anything else you might need around a campsite.
- First aid kit: A first aid kit is a must for any kayaking trip. Keep it in your waterproof bag and make sure it’s fully stocked with all the essentials.
For more information about what you should bring kayaking, or to schedule kayak rentals in Venice, FL, reach out to Cool Breeze Boats and Jet Ski Rentals today.
Categorised in: Kayak Rental
This post was written by Writer